8/17/2004

Conservatism vs Republicanism

I've thrown down a gauntlet of sorts at Red State, asking whether Alan Keyes' support of reparations is compatible with conservative values (which I share).

The problem is perhaps exemplified by Red State's own title: Collaborative "Republicanism". The soul of the GOP is conservativism, not blind loyalty - though slavish devotion to the Party at the expense of principle certainly gives a new twist to the meaning of the words "Red State."

I hope the other Red Staters denounce Keyes, but I don't think it's that likely. If not, then there's a problem that needs fixing on the right - one that will get much worse before it gets better, especially in the likelier and likelier event of a Kerry win this November.

And that is a bad thing. We need a healthy Right. Just as we need a healthy Left. But I'm not the first to note how the fringe element, marginalized on the Left, has invaded the mainstream Right in recent years...

1 comment:

Aziz P. said...

Conrad, what Im trying to do is articulate a political foundation that is orthogonal to the current Us vs Them. I want "conservatives" and "liberals" who are moderate and rational and open to debate to be "Us". I want all the radicals to be "Them".

What I really need to do is launcha new website, maybe Scoop-based, that caters to this community in my mind. If I build it, will they come?