3/16/2003

Good Morning, Iraaaaaaaq!

I'm not alone in believing that war will begin on Wednesday (or Tuesday, depending on how the time difference works out).

I have been formulating my own position against this war for several months, it was a gradual process and one which I am reasonably certain is airtight. I am also reasonably certain that no one wants to debate whether we should go to war - Steven Den Beste told me via email when I invited his comments on Part I of my argument that since war was a foregone conclusion, discussion of its validity was moot. The circularity of the argument is obvious.

The President said in the "summit" meeting in the Azores:

To achieve this vision, we will work closely with the international community, including the United Nations and our coalition partners. If military force is required, we'll quickly seek new Security Council resolutions to encourage broad participation in the process of helping the Iraqi people to build a free Iraq.


The President will find that no one on the Security Council will be willing to participate in the cost of reconstruction or support his vision of a free Iraq, because he has definitively proved that he cannot be trusted. All his rhetoric about the irrelevancy of the UN might have been useful for going to war, but the post-war scenario has always been a giant blank.

No comments: