6/27/2002

Dahlia�Lithwick points out:


As Judge Fernandez puts it, listening quietly while others mumble these two words does not promote any one religion, will not create an evil theocracy in America, and has caused no great harm in over 200 years. Still, I must wonder why Sean Hannity is practically stroking out over this decision on Fox News as we speak and why all the religious groups in the country are going apoplectic. My guess is that the words "under God" do promote monotheism, and of course the effect of that isn't just "de minimus," as they say.


(emphasis mine)

that fits my analysis well - people who are going apopleptic about this are doing it for political and hypocritical reasons. I'm a devoutly religious person, and dropping "under God" doesnt damage my faith the way it seems to damage theirs.

No comments: